Laboratory Operator & POCs:
NASA – David Cox
Mail Stop: KT-B, KSC, FL 32899
David.R.Cox@nasa.gov (321) 867-6051
Contractor – Ramona Bober
Mail Stop: BIO-3, KSC, FL 32899
Ramona.Boberfirstname.lastname@example.org (321) 867-1222
Location: Space Life Sciences Laboratory (Bldg. M6-1025)
The Experiment Support Laboratories are a group of labs that support experimental ground-based studies and testing, ground control activities, flight hardware buildup and development, and postflight activities for experiments returning from orbit, and conduct ongoing resident research in the Space Life Sciences Lab. The labs provide a basis for principal investigators to conduct preflight science activities and science-to-hardware integration in preparation for the installation of payloads into the Space Shuttle. Designed for maximum flexibility, the labs can be configured in various ways to accommodate science experiment disciplines that include cell culture science, plant physiology, and protein crystal growth to name a few. The labs have successfully supported numerous Space Hab, Mars, and SpaceLab missions, and payloads for the Space Shuttle, the Mir Space Station, and the International Space Station. The lab group includes science and hardware integration laboratories, a central services room, shared-equipment rooms, and a walk-in cold room.
- Configure, outfit, and close out laboratories; calibrate equipment; and dispose of bio hazardous, chemical, and radioactive waste
- Provide specimen and hardware support: receiving, condition verification, preparation, transportation,
- Post-flight recovery, and import/export
- Simulate experiments, verify/refine scientific protocols and timelines, and support preparation of ground control experiments
- Provide animal husbandry for specimens and provide/coordinate Bio-specimen Sharing Program
- Obtain all necessary approvals (Institutional Review Board – human subjects, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee – animal subjects)
- Coordinate science and hardware turnover to NASA for Orbiter installation
- Provide training and assistance in aseptic operations
- Monitor laboratory environments
- Provide steam/ethylene oxide sterilization with quality control
Facility use is negotiated on a per-proposal basis.
Leave a comment
If you would like to be contacted with more information, or if you have questions about any aspect of our program:
Click Here To Contact FL-CAN.